Over the past few months, we’ve been following a series of celebrities share their favorite healthy, yet delicious recipes.
Oscar-winning actress Natalie Portman, known for her vegan diet, is one of the famous people who loves sharing about her vegan diet. Just less than a week ago, Portman took a cooking lesson with Swiss food blogger and vegan baker, Yukiko Tanzi (@foodie.yuki), where they both made vegan matcha donuts together.
The recipe was devised for Portman's daughter, who is three years old this year.
The duo made the recipe together over webcam, and even provided the entire recipe for the rest of us to peruse! The donuts come in a vibrant green colour, which can be achieved through using high quality matcha. Other plant-based swaps include using coconut milk as part of the glaze, as it is thicker and whiter than other plant milks.
Try it out for yourself! Check out the entire recipe below:
Ingredients for 8 large vegan donuts:
1 1/2 (190g) All purpose flour or cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp high quality matcha powder
3/4 cup (150g) white sugar
3/4 cup (180ml) Soy or almond milk
2 Tbsp (40g) unsweetened soy yogurt (coconut is fine too)
4 Tbsp (50g) coconut oil or melted vegan butter, at room temp
For the glaze:
1 cup (140g) Icing sugar, sifted
1/4- 2 tsp Matcha powder
2 tbsp (30 ml) plant milk (coconut/ soy or almond)
1 tbsp (15g) vegan butter, melted
Rose petals or sprinkles or chopped nuts to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare donut tray by spraying with non-stick spray or grease with little oil. Set aside.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, matcha and salt into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.
3. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the soy milk, soy yogurt and melted coconut oil and whisk to combine.
5. Transfer the donut batter into a piping bag and pipe it into the donut mold evenly or use a spoon (but it can get messy).
6. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned on top.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring the donuts to a wire cooling rack.
8. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
9. For the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Dip the donuts into the sugar glaze and then place onto a parchment lined baking tray and decorate with toppings.
Check out the entire exchange here:
Portman went vegan after reading Eating Animals, a 2009 non-fiction bestseller that detailed the dark side of factory farming.